So many times I speak to families who feel stressed, desperate, and have tried multiple solutions without success. Striving to improve their child's behavior or school situation, they hope I'm "the one." Sometimes I am and sometimes I'm not.
It's best to figure that out before time, hope, and dollars are expended. I limit my practice to those areas where I have the greatest competence, experience, and training.
My practice is divided into the following areas:
Common Referral Situations
- My child doesn't seem interested in others. He's 5 years old and is friendly around us and does okay in preschool. Does he have autism?
- I can't get Ricky to do anything. He just tantrums or refuses over the slightest request. We're walking around on eggshells here.
- Lately, Susan has seemed worried about all kinds of things. She takes forever to make simple decisions.
- David is out of control. He doesn't concentrate at school, has few friends, doesn't seem very aware of others' feelings. He's very bright, but at times acts clueless.
- My son spends practically every waking moment on the computer. We're not sure exactly what he is doing, but he says that's how all the kids make friends these days. Is this a problem?
- My daughter, 36, never married, doesn't date and can't keep a job. As her mother, I try to do what I can, but I'm not going to be around forever. What's wrong with her?
- My 14 year old is always getting into fights at school. If another child just looks him, he goes off. Things are getting worse at home, too.
- Jane rarely talks. She does okay in school on tests and has a few close friends, but whenever there's an assignment that involves working in a group or she has to give an oral presentation, she "gets sick" and doesn't attend school.
- My 11 year old son is always forgetting his homework and gets marked down because of it. I've tried taking away privileges, but nothing seems to make a difference.
Animal Assisted Assessment/Intervention
She's consistently very gentle with the kids
and the adults who come to the office.